Saturday, April 13, 2013

Let's Talk Helmets.

Since snowboarding is considered an extreme sport, wearing a helmet seems like a wise choice. Some people like wearing them, some don't. Today, in may snowboarding communities, there is this little problem. Let's say a user posts a picture of them jumping off a 15 ft kicker without a helmet. All of a sudden you see a ton of posts and comments saying how irresponsible the rider is for not wearing one. The choice is his, period.

Who am I to say that everyone should be wearing helmets? Many professionals do not wear one, simply because it obstructs their vision and mobility. As some people may view this as "stupid" or irresponsible, if the rider feels that he'll be in better control without helmet, then simply let it be.

I actually do wear a helmet. I'm not an expert snowboarder, so I occasionally made mistakes that make me land on my bottom, however this isn't the only reason. I think the main reason that I am wearing a helmet is the external factor, specifically other riders. It doesn't matter how good I am, how slow or fast I can ride or what jumps can I hit, because most of the time, it's other people that are the cause of accidents, hence why wearing a helmet in ski resorts is a great idea in my opinion.

On top of that, just last time when I went out, I hit my head on a bench, for making a silly mistake. If you ask me, helmet is recommended accessory when snowboarding, however I am not judging other riders for not wearing one. After all it's their choice, and if they feel same without wearing a helmet, it's perfectly fine with me.

Too bad other people do not see it this way...

No comments:

Post a Comment