Friday, March 29, 2013

Mt. Snow


On March 24th I finally went on my first mountain in Vermont, particularly Mount Snow. After major snowfall few days prior, there was so much snow! I've never experienced the slopes in this way, moguls covered entirely in snow, powder in many places, no ice at all. The mountain was fantastic. Cartinthia Parks were superb (although I wish they've had couple of smaller jumps), there are plenty of trails, and many glades.

Ah glades. Riding snowy terrain in between trees was a great experience. Surprisingly, it was extremely tiring, it's like a workout on a gym. I enjoyed this really much and rode it many times. During the last run of the day, naturally I went for the glades. I was going down making swift turns, avoiding trees. All of a sudden, very unexpectedly I fell. There was a relatively large root sticking out of the ground that was covered in light powder that was almost invisible. I accidentally shifted my entire weight on my left ankle and twisted it outwards.

At first I thought that I was okay, so I continued to ride. After 20 minutes, when the trip was over and we had to walk back to the bus, I started to feel pain in my left foot. But as anyone else would do, I sucked it up, packed my board, and sat in the bus. After 5 long hours of riding to NYC, we were finally home. I tried getting out of the bus, in extreme pain. My friend helped me get my equipment out of bus cargo and we went for the car. I couldn't walk. I was driven home, and dropped off right at my front door.

I bandaged my foot, as it started to swell up, and in pain, I went to bed. The next morning it didn't look any better and it was in severe pain, just as it was last night. So I decided to go to a doctor. The next day, at the clinic, they did couple of x-rays and checked my foot. According to them, nothing has been broken (whew, what a relief), but I was still in the pain. There was some administrative mistake I didn't see podiatric doctor at all. So this regular Joe just told me to do RICE. Rest Ice Compression and Elevation.

It's been few days now, and this is still swollen. I can hardly walk. If it wasn't for my mother's crutches, that she saved after she broke her leg, I would have been immobile. Luckily my follow up is scheduled soon and hopefully my foot will get better.

This is a bad way to end the season I guess, and a bad way to screw up my spring break. What can you do.

Stay safe, and keep shredding.    

No comments:

Post a Comment